Sunday, September 03, 2006

Isle of Skye


Sunset, originally uploaded by ShirleyGrant.

Returned from my travels, I’m back in Scotland and back at work. I’ve moved to the Isle of Skye where I’ve rented a cottage for the winter. It’s in Lower Breakish which is a small village, the houses sit by the side of a tidal inlet called Ob Breakish. My living room window is close to the water and this evening as the tide goes out I’ve seen oystercatchers feeding in the seaweed, herons watching for fish, curlews with their long beaks, some ducks which I think are mallards, but all female – unless the males are in moult. I also watched an otter, swimming up the middle of the inlet and diving – for crabs/fish…? Further away are the Red Cullin with clouds on their summits, no sunset tonight but in the month that I’ve been on Skye I’ve seen lots.

In this blog I plan to put up some photos and write about the natural history of the area and the places I visit.

No comments: